Monday, June 30, 2008

Why bother

I vacillate between trying to save the planet myself and thinking, why bother? For every trip to the grocery store that I walk, someone else is driving his anti-environmentalist SUV for errands near and far. Or I read people in China are lining up to buy cars for the first time to the tune of one million a DAY. Even if I recycle all I can here, the people next door might be dumping their motor oil in the yard and throwing away cans and bottles (shudder). I don't think there is enough concern globally--yet, anyway. And I know the efforts I make are barely a blip on the radar, especially when compared to the damage others are doing. Nonetheless I keep at it. I have tried to be lazy, toss plastic in the trash rather than wash it out and recycle it, for instance. But I can't. I feel too guilty. There is some saying like, If not us, who? If not now, when? I figure my solitary efforts now are better than no one, never.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

It's an uphill battle, for sure. Better some of us than no-one, absolutely. Every little bit helps, at least you're not doing MORE damage.