Monday, May 11, 2009

All or nothing

I almost set myself up to fail. Or I do nothing because the task at hand overwhelms me. I know how to set a goal, take a big project and break it up into smaller, more manageable tasks. But it is still my instinct to try and do everything at once. Right now a big goal for me is to get back into shape. This means eating less, drinking more water, walking and getting more sleep. I could start with any one of those things. But instead I try to diet, drink extra water, and workout all at the same time. And I get discouraged because it is hard to change so many habits at once and I back slide. Even though I know I am more likely to have success if I go slowly, I try to speed up the process. Why? WHY?? It frustrates me yet I haven't figured out a way around myself.

So it occurs to me the biggest obstacle to progress is not my lack of time, my excess of chores, cupcakes, or anything else I could blame. It is me. Damn.

1 comment:

Janice said...

This is actually the number 1 trait of type A personalities. The whole if I can't do it 1000% right NOW and be successful, than I won't do it at all mentality. I have the same issue, clearly illustrated by my messy house. :)