Friday, October 17, 2008

The catalyst of burning rubber

I strongly dislike this house. I can't say I hate it, because it is our home, after all. But it drives me nuts on a daily basis. One of the keys to getting out of here is to finish what we've started, the biggest project being the basement. I got an estimate for the work a month or so ago and was stunned when it was more than double what we were told just a couple years ago. So I became temporarily paralyzed and just stopped thinking about it for a while. I got another number to call for a bid, but still did nothing. And then I smelled something burning.

I was preheating the oven to bake birthday cake for my husband and soon realized something was in the oven that shouldn't be. I have no idea how the little rubber stopper (for which we do not know the origin) ended up in the oven but it probably stuck to one of the pots and pans we store in there and fell to the bottom, which is where I found it, melting away. We have to store pots and pans in the oven because there is nowhere else to put them in the poorly designed kitchen. The poorly designed kitchen in which it is difficult to get anything done in the poorly designed house next to the annoying neighbors. A house in which we are stuck until it is finished (and the market goes up, ideally). Suddenly I was inspired. I scraped out the melting black thing and immediately looked up the phone number for the contractor a friend recommended. Amazing what a little burning rubber can do.

No comments: