Wednesday, October 29, 2008

If I just move the coffeemaker...

If the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, my attempts to reorganize the kitchen have been fairly insane. Three or maybe four times I have moved the coffeemaker from the right side of the sink to the left, with the sincere belief that this would make the kitchen function better. There is really only one small prep area in the whole kitchen, and the coffeemaker was taking up part of it. So I moved it to the other side of the sink near the phone. But then that cluttered up a swath of counter that I need to remain clear for my sanity. The rest of the kitchen can be a disaster, but if at least that one area is clear I feel a tiny bit better. (I need to point out that quite often that area is not clear because certain family members are incapable of going the extra three feet to the recycling bin outside and pile up bottles, cans, etc. there on the counter despite my pleas for one clear area. But that is another post.) So I moved the coffeemaker back to the right. After a year or so, I once again thought it would improve the flow of the kitchen if the coffeemaker was out of the prep area and I repeated the whole unsuccessful experiment. Insane.

I have been trying to move excess stuff off the counter and I had a sort of hole where the cat cookie jar (which holds tea bags) used to be. The cat is now on the windowsill. You've heard 40 is the new 30, well, the windowsill is the new counter: a place to display things, mostly gifts, which I can't seem to put in a closet somewhere. They have sentimental value, and also we have limited storage space. But I digress. So last weekend I had the brilliant idea to put the coffeemaker where the cat jar was. (Cat jar sounds sort of bad, like a jar full of cats.) This would free up my prep area and keep the area by the phone clear and still be near enough the sink and coffee cups. What more could I ask for?

Suddenly my insanity has turned into logic. The kitchen works better. I know this because I have managed to keep the counter tops clean for a miraculous five days in a row. Despite my husband. As I type this I see he has ditched a catalog, in my one little food prep area no less. Glad he is trying to keep my streak going.

No comments: