Monday, August 25, 2008

Fear and Steel Magnolias

I have a ridiculous notion held on from childhood that if I don't speak about bad things, they won't happen. I am even too superstitious to write about some of them, though I have touched on a few fears here.

My solution to this is to pray. And pray and pray. I am beginning to feel a little bit like Annelle from Steel Magnolias, who took her faith a little too far, stopping to pray every other minute over something or other and raising the eyebrows of the other ladies. You have to have seen the movie. She got over it, was able to have faith in God and not be overly, what, prayerful? But I understand that feeling, that I can somehow protect my family and myself if I just pray hard enough. I guess it is better to pray too much than to live in fear. Sometimes I manage to do a little of both. I am a work in progress. A good friend lent me a book about faith and I am hoping it will help me to sort out some of my feelings. Perhaps someday I can write about that. I should be outside working but it is pouring rain, so maybe I should sit down with my book (and tune out Barney singing in the background).

Note: I really don't mind Barney, and I especially don't mind the little cutie who is clapping along. I truly am blessed.

No comments: