Thursday, August 21, 2008

This is Your Life

I keep hearing that in my head. Is it from a tv show or movie? I can't remember.

Sometimes I sit in amazement when I realize this is it. All of my young life I wondered what it would be like to be married and have a family and now I am living it. It is not quite what I expected but for the most part is better than I imagined. My kids, while sometimes aggravating, are the most fascinating thing I have ever known. Just watching them, listening to them and interacting with them is so amazing. I am still in awe that they are mine, that I made them (with a little help from my husband and God, mind you). I suppose some people would be bored to tears by the endless household chores, the getting dressed and undressed, the many meals, the diapers. But I truly love it. When I am rocking my baby, I often think to myself, This is the best job I've ever had. And I know it is the best job I will ever have. Teaching other people's children is rewarding, certainly, and I do still hope to someday get paid to write. But there is no job I can think of as meaningful or enjoyable as being Mama. Being a wife is a close second, though. This is my life. How lucky.

No comments: